12 Days of Documentaries on Netflix (Original)
Last year, I published a list of notable documentaries that many readers found helpful. In these next few weeks, between eating and unwrapping, I get a chance to catch up on the documentaries that everyone is buzzing about. Netflix has always been a proud home to some of the world’s great docs, and if you’re a fan too, here are 12 great ones that will give you plenty to talk about at those big family dinners.
1. The Invisible War - Director Kirby Dick (This Film Not Yet Rated, Outrage) takes on the sexual abuse of women in the U.S. military in this hard hitting and rage-inducing documentary. The doc is on the short list for a Best Documentary Feature nomination at this year's Oscars, and has already racked up honors around the world since its debut at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival. 2. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry is another shortlisted 2013 Oscar favorite. Director Alison Klayman explores the complex world of Chinese artist and political activist Ai Weiwei. As the power of social media and art challenge the old guard in China, this film explains the limitations of art and the politics of suppression. Amazing archival footage and Klayman's unparalleled access make this one of the great films of the year.
2012 Golden Globes Nominees and Winners on Netflix (Original)
The glitz! The glamour! The drunken celebs! The Golden Globe nominations come out tomorrow, so we thought we’d share a list of this year’s winners and nominees streaming on Netflix right now! From 2012’s big winners like The Artist and Hugo, to lesser known gems like Machine Gun Preacher and Luther, there are tons of great new movies and TV shows ready to play instantly. So pop some champagne, put on that beaded gown (and slippers) and enjoy some of the year’s best.
2012 Golden Globe Winners on Netflix:
2012 Golden Globe Nominees on Netflix:
- The Artist – Best Motion Picture, Comedy or Music
- Jean Dujardin, The Artist – Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical
- The Adventures of Tintin – Best Animated Feature Film
- Martin Scorcese, Hugo – Best Director, Motion Picture
- Ludovic Bource, The Artist – Best Original Score, Motion Picture
- W.E. – Best Original Song, Motion Picture
- Downton Abbey – Best Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
- Idris Elba, Luther – Best Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
- Jessica Lange, American Horror Story – Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
- Hugo - Best Motion Picture, Drama
- Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs – Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
- Charlize Theron, Young Adult – Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical
- Berenice Bejo, The Artist – Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
- Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs – Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
- Albert Brooks, Drive – Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
- Rango – Best Animated Feature Film
- The Flowers of War – Best Foreign Language Film
- In the Land of Blood and Honey – Best Foreign Language Film
- Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist – Best Director, Motion Picture
- The Artist – Best Screenplay, Motion Picture
- Abel Korzeniowski, W.E.
November ISP Rankings for the USA (Original)
Our 30 million members view over 1 billion hours of Netflix per month, so we have very reliable data for consumers to compare ISPs in terms of real world performance.
Starting today, we’ll publish monthly rankings of major ISPs based upon their actual performance across all Netflix streams.
Google Fiber is now the most consistently fast ISP in America, according to actual user experience on Netflix streams in November.
Broadly, cable shows better than DSL. AT&T U-verse, which is a hybrid fiber-DSL service, shows quite poorly compared to Verizon Fios, which is pure fiber. Charter moved down two positions since October. Verizon mobile has 40% higher performance than AT&T mobile.
The average performance is well below the peak performance due to a variety of factors including home Wi-Fi, a variety of devices, and a variety of encodes. The relative ranking, however, should be an accurate indicator of relative bandwidth typically experienced across all users, homes, and applications.
Ken Florance is Vice President of Content Delivery at Netflix
It’s Always Sunny at Netflix! (Original)
When I talk to people about It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
, they typically tell me one of two things… “It’s amazing!” or “I have been meaning to watch that show. It’s supposed to be hilarious.” You should know it’s both amazing and hilarious, so pull up a barstool and have a drink with Charlie, Mac, Dennis, Dee, and Frank, because all seven prior seasons of Sunny
are available for Netflix US members starting today!
This FX comedy is a sort of anti-F.R.I.E.N.D.S., as hilarious as it is completely inappropriate. The group of pals known as “the gang” are some of the most despicable people on the planet, happily serving up drinks at Paddy’s Pub in South Philadelphia. Danny DeVito plays Frank, father to Dennis (Glenn Howerton) and Dee (Kaitlin Olson). Along with fellow bar backs Mac (Rob McElhenny) and Charlie (Charlie Day), the group’s harebrained schemes and poor judgment land them in trouble every episode. Here’s a list of some of the office favorites:
Season 2 Episode 5 – “Hundred Dollar Baby” – Frank starts to train Dee to be a fighter in this parody of “Million Dollar Baby," meanwhile Dennis and Mac are working to turn Charlie into the ultimate street fighter by training him to take a beating.…
Exciting New Relationship with Disney (Original)
I’m incredibly pleased and excited to tell you that Netflix will be bringing you exclusively, starting in 2016, theatrically released movies from The Walt Disney Company and its renowned studios, including Disney, Pixar and Marvel. In the meantime, we’ll have an amazing selection of Disney movies including Disney classics, catalog movies, and popular non-theatrical movies for the whole family featuring beloved characters like Tinkerbell, Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh, to name a few.
For us, this is a really big deal – for the first time in our largest market - new Disney movies will be available when and where you want to watch them on Netflix rather than on a premium cable channel. Our popular “Just for Kids” section, which is especially programmed for children under twelve, will now have such beloved Disney theatrical classics as “Dumbo,” “The Aristocats,” and “Pocahontas” and new favorites like “Beverly Hills Chihuahua” and the “Air Bud/Buddies” franchise on top of the incredible range of Disney Channel, ABC Family and Disney XD shows already available to stream on Netflix.
For the older set, later today we'll have Tim Burton’s incredible holiday favorite “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and in the months and years to come, the epic “Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl,” an array of M.…
PlayStation 3 Leads Living Room Netflix Viewing (Original)
We’re proud to stream TV shows and movies from Netflix onto nearly every Internet connected screen, from pocket-sized screens on phones to very large HDTVs. We’re also passionate about product innovation and continually investing in making the Netflix viewing experience better for our users.
Historically, gaming consoles have been a popular way for consumers to enjoy Netflix. Today we wanted to recognize the PlayStation 3 in particular as a leader in Netflix streaming. In the US and globally, PS3 is the largest TV-connected platform in terms of Netflix viewing. This year, at times, PS3 even surpassed the PC in hours of Netflix enjoyment to become our No. 1 platform overall.
Every PS3 owner can access Netflix directly via the free PlayStation Network and sign-up for Netflix directly from their PS3. The engagement enabled by this easy access combined with the powerful PS3 system capabilities makes PS3 a natural fit for Netflix to develop and deploy our most advanced features first on PS3.
PS3 was the first computer entertainment system to offer Netflix in full 1080p video resolution with 5.1-channel Dolby Digital Plus™ surround sound and to offer post-play, second screen controls, on device sign-up, alternate audio options including subtitles. PS3 is currently the only platform to experience a new voice user interface called “Max” that’s currently being tested.…